Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup

One of my favorite hobbies is cooking. My love of food and recipes has been reignited with my new found Pinterest and "pinning" recipes. I found a recipe on the Food Network which served as my inspiration in creating this soup. It is a hearty soup with great flavors and good for those winter days. Serve with a fresh crusty loaf of bread. 

Soup takes about 2 hours from scratch, or just over an hour if you do a few items ahead in the week in conjunction with other cooking. 


Earlier this week I made chicken with another meal, so I cooked an extra boneless skinless chicken breast. I then shredded it to include in this soup.

First I precooked the noodles to al dente - or still firm (just cooked so that they do not get mushy once in the soup) and I ran cold water over them to stop the cooking. You could also cook these along side the broth if you have two pots, then combine just before serving.

Serves 4-6 (depends on how big of bowls you use)

8oz package of the no-yolk egg noodles 
5-6oz chicken breast, cooked and shredded
1T olive oil
1 shallot, minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, diced
10 baby carrots, diced (2 med reg. carrots)
1t kosher salt
1/2t fresh cracked pepper
1t dried oregano, smashed in palms of hand
1-32oz low sodium, chicken stock
2-32oz low sodium, chicken broth
1/2 bunch of fresh parsley, chopped

In a large soup pot over medium heat add olive oil to a hot pot, then add shallots, carrots and celery. Add dry herbs and salt and pepper. Let veggies "sweat" for about 5 minutes or until they begin to become translucent, then add garlic. Cook for one more minute stirring constantly, then add broth and stock. Allow to simmer for 30-60 minutes. 

Add noodles, chicken and parsley 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment